If you owe money, the person or organisation to whom you owe the money may take enforcement action against you. The following questions and answers should cover most of the information that you will need in these circumstances but you may also contact our Call Centre for further information or to make a payment. Please click here for contact numbers and opening hours.

Who do Swift work on behalf of?

Swift provides services for local authorities, Magistrates' Courts, commercial landlords, solicitors and many other public and private companies nationwide.

We recover council tax and business rates, Penalty Charge Notices, distress warrants and commercial rent arrears, as well as offering other services.

All Swift's enforcement agents are authorised to enforce warrants/orders on behalf of creditors.

How do I know the enforcement agent is employed by Swift?

All enforcement agents employed by Swift are issued with a Company Identification Card in addition to their County Court Certificate and will produce these on request.

Why has an enforcement agent visited?
An enforcement agent has attended to collect an outstanding debt passed to us by our client, who may be a local authority, Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service, or a private company or organisation.
An enforcement agent has attended my address and left a letter/notice whilst I was out. What should I do next?

Please contact the enforcement agent immediately on the telephone number provided on the paperwork left at your property. If you are unable to contact the enforcement agent, you should contact our offices immediately using the details provided on our contact page and speak with one of our Customer Service Advisors who will discuss the options available to you. Alternatively, you may contact us by email or post using the contact details provided.

You should not ignore this matter: the debt will not go away and each time our enforcement agent visits your property, additional costs may be incurred.

What charges can an enforcement agent make?
Most of our charges are set out in the relevant legislation, depending on the type of debt we are collecting. Any other charges are agreed with clients in advance.
How can I make a payment?

Full details on how to make payment can be found in the "How to Pay" section.

What powers do enforcement agents have?

Enforcement agents are entitled to gain peaceful entry into your property, in order to take control of goods of the person owing the debt. They are then entitled to remove and sell the goods at public auction to settle the debt.

When enforcing distress warrants issued by a Magistrates' Court, enforcement agents are permitted to use force to enter premises in order to execute the warrant, provided the force used is reasonable and the circumstances have been approved as appropriate by the court.

What should I do if I am unable to make a payment or miss a payment?

You should contact our offices immediately to discuss the arrears due; you should not miss or reduce payments without discussing this with our offices.

If you fail to make payment as agreed, further action will take place to enforce the outstanding debt; additional costs could be payable.

I am experiencing financial problems; where can I get help?
For debt advice, please refer to click here
How can I make a complaint?
For information on how to make a complaint, please click here.